We know you may have specific questions related to commencement right now. To help address those questions, we've developed a list of frequently asked questions. We encourage you to check this FAQ often, as it may update often. Our plans are subject to change based on evolving direction from state and local public health officials.
For more information about applying to graduate or diplomas be sure to visit the Office of the University Registrar.
If you don’t see your question listed below, reach out via email or use the contact form. If you have a question about your in-person commencement processional time, tickets or confirmation, contact your college or professional school by email:
- College of Engineering
- College of Letters and Science
- College of Biological Sciences
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Graduate Studies
- Graduate School of Management
Commencement coordinators for each college and professional school are responding to an extremely high volume of emails in the order they were received. There’s no need to send your question in a duplicate or follow-up email, and doing so may slow down the process of receiving a response. Thank you for your patience.
FAQs for Fall Commencement
- Will there be a makeup ceremony for the spring 2020 undergraduate and graduate students?
- Yes, the makeup ceremony for undergraduates will be held Friday, December 10 at 10 a.m. at the University Credit Union Center (formally the ARC Pavilion).
- When will information be sent to graduates?
- Information will be sent via email and text message very soon. To receive communication and updates — please sign up here.
- When will registration open for the 2020 makeup and fall 2021 ceremonies?
- Registration for the undergraduate commencement ceremonies has not yet begun. This page will be updated once it is open, so please stay tuned.
Registration and other information on the 2020 makeup ceremony for Graduate Studies is available on the Graduate Studies website.
- How many guest tickets will each graduate receive?
- Graduates will receive at least two guest tickets. Additional information on how to obtain tickets will be provided at a later date.
- Can 2020 makeup graduates walk in the spring 2022 commencement ceremony instead?
- Yes. Notify your college or professional school commencement coordinator by sending an email to one of these addresses:
College of Engineering
College of Letters and Science
College of Biological Sciences
College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Graduate School of Management
- What happens if the state and county cancel large gatherings?
- We will notify all students and guests as soon as possible if fall commencement activities are canceled.
- Will there be a virtual celebration this fall?
- We will not be hosting a virtual ceremony this fall. We will invite our fall 2021 graduates to participate in our spring 2022 virtual ceremony.
- Do I need a cap and gown? Are cap and gowns required?
- Yes, for in-person celebrations, traditional UC Davis cap and gowns will be required. For more information on cap and gown options, please visit: https://ucdavisstores.com/merchlist?ID=18270.
- When can I order my cap and gown?
- Please be on the lookout for the ordering link. We expect the ordering site to be ready the week of Oct. 4.
- Can I wear the one I previously purchased?
- If your cap and gown was purchased through the official UC Davis vendor it may be worn again.
- Can I participate with the fall 2021 undergraduates if the date works better for me?
- Due to limited space, each request will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Please contact the Commencement team at email@example.com to submit your request.
- Who is eligible to participate in the 2020 makeup ceremony?
- All students who met the necessary graduation requirements in June 2020 and December 2020 will be invited to participate in the 2020 Makeup Ceremony.
June 2020 commencement eligibility: Those who graduated in September 2019, December 2019, March 2020, June 2020 and September 2020. December 2020 commencement eligibility: Those who graduated in March 2020, June 2020, September 2020, December 2020 and March 2021.
Fall 2021 commencement
- Will the fall 2021 commencement be in-person or virtual?
- Only in-person commencement processionals will be held this year. The in-person events will be held between Dec. 9 to Dec. 11. Each graduate will be able to bring guest pending state and county health and safety guidelines. The number of guests per graduate will be determined at a later date.
- What COVID-19 precautions are being taken?
- The fall commencement events will follow all university, county and state public health guidelines, which are subject to change. Check the Campus Ready website for the most up-to-date information.
- What if a guest can’t attend the in-person event?
- The entire in-person event will be livestreamed online, so everyone can witness this important milestone. The livestream video will also be posted on our commencement site.
- How do I sign up to participate?
- Registration for the in-person event for undergraduate students will begin in late October. A link to register will be posted to this commencement site and communicated directly to all qualifying fall 2021 undergraduate students. Graduate students should visit the Graduate Studies website for further information.
- I didn’t get the commencement announcement email that went to students. What do I do?
- Please sign up here to receive communication about undergraduate fall commencement.
- Will I be able to watch the livestream ceremonies again after commencement weekend?
- All livestream ceremonies will be recorded and posted on the Commencement site and be available for one year.
- Will Cultural Graduation Celebrations be held this fall?
- There will be no Cultural Graduation Celebrations in the fall. Please check with Affinity Groups for future celebration dates.
Eligibility and attendance
- Which undergraduate students can participate in the Fall 2021 graduation celebrations?
- Those who graduated in March 2021, June 2021, September 2021, and those anticipating to graduate in December 2021 and March 2022 (a.k.a. those with 150+ units completed at the end of fall quarter/December 2021).
- Which graduate students are eligible to participate?
- Please visit the Graduate Studies website for further information. Information for Graduate School of Management students is available on that school’s website.
- Where will the in-person celebration be held, and where should I park?
- Parking for the in-person commencement processionals for undergraduate and academic graduate students will be in the Pavilion Parking Structure. Graduates and their guests will line up under tents on Hutchison Field before walking across the stage inside The University Credit Union Center (formerly known as The Pavilion).
- Is there a cost to participate in the in-person commencement?
- There is no charge to participate in either event.
- Who can I contact about my tickets, commencement time or confirmation email?
- Please contact your college or professional school with one of the email addresses listed here. Commencement coordinators for each college and professional school are responding to an extremely high volume of emails in the order they were received. There’s no need to send your question in a duplicate or follow-up email, and doing so may slow down the process of receiving a response. Thank you for your patience.
- Are children able to attend?
- All guests attending the in-person celebration will be required to meet Campus Ready Guidelines.
- Can I request a visa letter for a guest traveling from outside the United States?
- Unfortunately, UC Davis will not be issuing any visa letters at this time.
- Can my guests bring food or drinks?
- Due to health and safety protocols, only water in closed containers will be permitted at the in-person commencement processional.
- Will flowers or other gifts be available at the event?
- Attendees can order flowers online for pickup at the in-person commencement processional. Be sure to enter your ceremony date at checkout. Guests may bring their own flowers, but balloons or other gifts will not be permitted at the event.
- Can I bring a cooler or other large bag? What is the bag policy?
- All bags (including purses, fanny packs and backpacks) are subject to search before being allowed into the event. All prohibited items will not be allowed into the stadium. Bags shall be small enough to fit completely under one seat (occupied by bags’ owner), and shall be so kept at all times to maintain clear aisles, walkways, and stairs. Hard-sided cases and coolers are prohibited. Prohibited items include: cans, glass or open containers; chairs; hard-sided coolers; alcoholic beverages; bicycles, skateboards, scooters; animals (except service animals); artificial noisemakers and musical instruments; weapons. Approved bags include: 12” x 6” x 12” clear plastic bag; 1-gallon clear plastic storage bag; 5.5” x 8.5” clutch purse; 3” x 4” clutch purse.
- Will the in-person event fill up for guests?
- Limited guest tickets and seating will be offered pending health and safety guidelines and we will confirm the number of guests and their COVID requirements at a later date. Please note, the campus is planning the event in accordance with the Campus Ready guidance.
- Can I come to campus for photos?
- UC Davis is currently at a state of reduced operations, but our beautiful campus grounds and outdoor landmarks are still open to the public. It is important that any social gatherings on campus follow the university, county and state public health guidelines for social, informal gatherings, which can be found on the Campus Ready website. Also, check the commencement website for further updates including virtual backgrounds and social media filters.
- Will drones be allowed on campus?
- No drone flights will be allowed over or near the in-person commencement ceremonies. More information on our policy for unmanned aircraft systems is available on the Safety Services website.