All majors in the College of Biological Sciences are selective and require preparatory coursework for admission, including the new major Marine and Coastal Science with a focus on Marine Ecology and Organismal Biology.
You may use ASSIST to search for courses at your California community college that are comparable to UC Davis courses. It is strongly recommended that students complete UC transfer requirements in the areas of English composition (2 courses) and mathematics (1 course) by the end of fall term prior to enrollment, in order to receive priority consideration. At least 60 semester (90 quarter) transferable units and any required major preparatory courses that are offered at your current college must be completed by the close of spring term for fall enrollment at UC Davis. If required courses are not offered at your college, you must complete them after enrolling at UC Davis.
You must earn an overall transfer GPA of 2.80 or higher to be a competitive candidate for admission to any of these majors. Strive to achieve your highest possible GPA in order to be most competitive. Candidates must complete courses comparable to the following UC Davis courses with a GPA of at least 2.50 for each of the three course groups. It is recommended that candidates have already achieved the minimum required GPAs in the course(s) from the groups below that have been completed at the time of application and through the transfer academic update filing period. Courses must be taken for a letter grade, with no grade less than C:
- Mathematics 17A/B/C or 21A/B
- Chemistry 2A/B/C
- Biological Sciences 2A/B/C
It is also strongly recommended that prior to transfer, you complete coursework comparable to the following UC Davis courses:
- Organic Chemistry 8A/B* or 118A/B/C
- Physics 7A/B/C or the physics series cited on ASSIST for your intended College of Biological Sciences major (especially useful for "Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior" majors)
Completion of these courses will help you move more efficiently toward graduation. Courses should be taken for a letter grade, with no grade less than C; however, grades in these courses are not assessed as part of a College of Biological Sciences major course group GPA.
For the best transition and reduced time-to-degree, consider completing all lower-division preparatory coursework shown on assist.org for your intended major.
- Complete UC transfer requirements in the areas of English composition (2 courses) and mathematics (1 course) by the end of fall term 2015.
- Meet or exceed the minimum overall GPA of 3.20 from the time your TAG is submitted, up to the time of enrollment.
- Have already achieved the minimum required GPAs in the course(s) from the groups above that have been completed before submitting the UC TAG Application, e.g. if one course from the mathematics, chemistry or biological sciences groups is completed at the time of TAG, that course must be completed with a B minus (B–) grade or higher.
*Students planning for the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major should complete Organic Chemistry 118A/B/C rather than 8A/B. Students planning for the Marine and Coastal Science major with a focus in Marine Ecology and Organismal Biology should complete Organic Chemistry 8A/B; however, students may substitute Chemistry 118A/B/C.