Your Tuition, Fees and Other Costs Explained
This chart shows the overview of costs, including tuition, fees, and other student necessities like books and supplies, room and board, personal expenses, and transportation. These expenses can vary. Here are official estimates based on student surveys and the cost of living.
2015–2016 Undergraduate Cost of Attendance
|Student Expense Budgets||Living On-Campus||Living Off-Campus||Living at Home with Family (Commuter)||Nonresident Living On-Campus|
|CA Resident tuition/Fees||$13,951||$13,951||$13,951||$38,659|
|Books & Supplies||$1,576||$1,576||$1,576||$1,576|
|Room & Board||$14,517||$8,283||$4,700||$14,517|
Tuition and fees explained
You know your tuition and fees go toward a great education. But just how is the money used? We pick up a calculator and break down the annual fees of $13,951 for undergraduate California residents studying full time.
Two-thirds, or $7,480, provide funding for instruction and operating costs such as supplies and utilities; $3,740 goes to financial aid.
Student Services Fee: $1,020
Funds non-academic services and activities in support of students including counseling, advising, tutoring and student information systems; helps pay down debt on Dutton Hall and the Memorial Union; about $61 helps fund mental health programs and services.
UC Davis campus-based fees: $1,712
Campus Expansion Initiative: $549
UC Davis students voted in a 2003 referendum to pass this fee for:
- the construction and maintenance of the Student Health and Wellness Center (opened in 2010);
- expansion of the Coffee House (2010);
- improvements to the Unitrans bus service, (2009 and 2014), the new Silo terminal (2008) and improvements to the Memorial Union terminal (2014);
- funding for sport clubs and intramural sports;
- athletic awards for NCAA Division I play;
- the Student Community Center (2012); and
- financial aid.
Facilities and Campus Enhancements Fee: $412
This fee supports:
- the construction and maintenance of the Activities and Recreation Center (2004), Schaal Aquatics Center (2004) and Aggie Stadium (2007);
- improvements to the Equestrian Center (2007) and other recreation programs;
- student recruitment and retention efforts; and
- financial aid (1999 referendum).
Student Services Maintenance Fee / Student Activities and Services Initiative Fee: $344
This fee supports the following student services:
- intercollegiate, intramural and sports programs;
- the Cross Cultural Center;
- the Women’s Resources and Research Center;
- campus recreation programs;
- the Equestrian Center; and
- the Pavilion (1994 referendum).
Student Services Health Fee: $132
Provides operating budget support for student health and counseling services (1997 referendum).
Provides support for the Unitrans bus service and the Associated Students of UC Davis (ASUCD), the student government for undergraduates (1934 referendum).
Memorial Union Fee: $86
Pays for the Memorial Union and Silo construction and renovation projects (1957 referendum and UC regents 1984).
Student Facilities Safety Fee: $66
Funds seismic and life-safety projects in student facilities (UC regents, 1997 and 2007).
Supports the Unitrans operating budget and financial aid (2007 referendum).
Health insurance: $2,115
For health insurance unless you have comparable coverage under another plan.
One-time Document Fee: $150
New students pay this one-time fee to cover the cost of university documents such as official transcripts.