You are here

How freshman applicants should report international records

International students should use their international academic record to report ALL international coursework as  it appears on their official records. To be considered for freshman admission, you must complete secondary school earning superior marks in academic subjects and receive a certificate of completion that grants you admission to university-level studies in your country.

Learn about applying as a transfer student with international records.

All applicants are considered using the same admission requirements, including SAT and ACT testing, and are included in the same selection process. If you have attended both international and United States high schools, both your international and United States courses and grades will be considered. You may also be required to demonstrate English proficiency. Visit the Exams and Visas page for more information.

Submitting Academic Records

If you are admitted to UC Davis you will be required to verify the academic information you listed on your application with your official academic records. We will require you to submit academic records from all institutions attended, beginning with the ninth grade.

Academic records must include all subjects and final course or examination marks (if applicable). College and university records must also include numbers of hours per week devoted to lecture and laboratory. Secondary school records must show graduation at a level acceptable for university entrance. We are familiar with academic records from various countries. You are welcome to contact our international admission specialists to discuss your records.

An academic record is only considered official when it is issued and sealed in an envelope by the issuing institution or examination authority. Opened original records are generally not considered official. Records sealed or attested by notaries or organizations other than the issuing institution are not considered official.

Because it may take some time for schools outside the United States to forward your records to us, you are encouraged to have legible photocopies of your international academic records available. During our evaluation of your application, we may need to review these photocopies. Please be prepared to send them at our request.

Admission Information for Specific Countries and Educational Systems

The information in this section is intended to supplement admission requirements for freshmen and transfers, not replace them.

  • 13-Year Educational Systems: If pre-university education is 13 years long in your country, you must complete all 13 years before entering UC Davis. You must graduate from secondary school in your country earning a certificate of completion that enables you to attend a university in your country. Admission to UC Davis is not offered prior to completion of the 13th year.
  • British System and Singapore: You must complete at least 5 IGCSE/GCSE/GCE O Levels, and at least 3 GCE A Levels to be considered for admission. AS levels will also be considered. If you receive A, B or C letter grades on your GCE A level examinations, UC Davis may consider granting you transfer credit toward your bachelor's degree. The exact credit amount will be determined after you have been formally admitted and provide your official certificate.
  • India and Pakistan: You must complete your standard XII years of education and sit for 10th and 12th year board/state examinations.
  • International Schools: Your international school must have an appropriate level of recognition in the educational system it follows. You must also be earning a certificate of completion that will allow you to enter a university in that educational system. If your international school follows a United States curriculum, your school must have United States accreditation and you must graduate with a United States high school diploma or an equivalent credential.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB): If you are completing your IB diploma or taking some IB courses, make sure to report your IB status in your application. There are instructions in the application for reporting IB coursework and examinations.
  • Malaysia: You must complete your SPM and STPM or A Levels to be considered for admission.
  • Sri Lanka: You must complete Sri Lankan GCE O and A Levels. You may also complete O and A Levels through a British Examination Authority.
  • New Zealand: You must complete Form 7 earning your Higher School Certificate. If you will be receiving a Bursary or NCEA Level 3, please indicate this in your application.

three international students playing billiards - international resources

International Resources

Explore resources designed specifically for our international community members.

Learn more