The vegetarian and vegan options at Scrubs Café, Spokes Grill and The Gunrock, and in the campus's three dining commons, will be extra special in the coming weeks when the eateries participate in an oh-so-cool battle of plant-based burgers! Customers will be the judges.
Eleven Davis restaurants also are entered in the Cool Cuisine Burger Battle. It’s organized by Cool Cuisine, which, according to its website, is a grass-roots, volunteer-driven coalition of individuals and organizations — including UC Davis’ P.E.A.C.E. Club (People for the Elimination of Animal Cruelty through Education) — seeking more plant-based dining options in the Davis area.
UC Davis offers vegetarian and vegan options daily in all Dining Services’ eateries (Scrubs, Spokes and The Gunrock retail operations, and the Segundo, Tercero and Cuarto dining commons, which, besides serving students, are also open to the public), and in the ASUCD Coffee House, too.
The Cool Cuisine Burger Battle aims to get as many people as possible “to try a delicious meal that happens to be plant-based” and which provides “a taste sensation and positive, memorable experience that leads them to increase the number of plant-based, sustainable meals they eat on a regular basis,” according to a news release.
The burger battle participants will offer 20 newly created burgers for judging on taste, presentation, texture, unique flavor, juiciness and similarity to real meat. Diners will be asked to submit their evaluations via an online form, using a five-point scale ranging from “OK” to “awesome”. Every review will earn the reviewer an entry into a prize giveaway. Where to find the burgers, and how to submit your reviews.
The competition runs from March 1 to 31 — but UC Davis’ participating eateries will offer their burger battle entries for only a limited number of days. Scrubs, Spokes and The Gunrock will be in the battle next week; and the dining commons the week after that.
Scrubs, Spokes and The Gunrock
Here’s what you’ll find at the retail operations, Monday-Friday, March 4-8 (see each entry below for hours of burger availability):
- Scrubs Café (Health Sciences District) — Chef Mia Moua’s Beyond Melt, a seared Beyond Burger on grilled sourdough with caramelized onions, arugula, and house-made, spicy ‘Not-Cho’ cheese. Available 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Spokes Grill (Silo) — Chef Andrew Tescher’s Beyond Bulgogi, a savory, glazed Beyond Burger, with spicy mayo, kimchi, cucumber, pickled mushrooms and shredded lettuce on a toasted potato bun. Available 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- The Gunrock (Silo) — Chef Dain Holland’s Beyond Bella, a seared Beyond Burger with Portobello “bacon,” arugula, roasted peppers and chimichurri sauce. Available 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
The dining commons will serve their entries from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, March 11-13. You will find the Cool Cuisine Burger Battle entries at the Tomato Street Grill within each dining commons.
- Segundo — Chef Cesar Cienfuegos’ Falafel Burger, house-made falafel patty, creamy vegan cucumber-mint sauce, butter lettuce, tomato and pickled onions on a toasted sesame bun.
- Tercero — Chef Robert Reilly’s Eggplant Parmesan Burger, breaded eggplant, vegan mozzarella, marinara, caramelized onions and basil vegannaise on a on a whole wheat vegan bun.
- Cuarto — Chef Janos Levin’s Road Runner Burger, a grilled sweet potato and black bean patty, with roasted pasilla pepper and avocado spread, butter lettuce, tomato and pickled red onions on a toasted potato bun.