Beginning Fall 2019 students planning to minor in Human Rights must meet these requirements:
Human Rights Studies Minor
The Human Rights Studies Minor provides students with an opportunity to explore human rights as a critical element of our contemporary world.
Courses in the minor approach human rights as a problem for humanity, policy, advocacy and humanitarian action, as well as a subject for historical, ethical, social scientific and cultural study. Students will examine moments of terrible human rights abuse: genocide, slavery, colonialism, Apartheid, and sexual and gender-based violence. They will also learn about movements to protect and promote human rights, including the elaboration of the contemporary the human rights régime, efforts by international and local non-governmental human rights organizations, and artistic and literary responses to human rights challenges.
The minor is administered by the Human Rights Studies Program.
In addition to completing HMR 134, students must take three additional Core Courses and one course from the Elective Course list.
- Students must select courses from at least three different departments or programs to satisfy the minor.
Required Course (4 units)
- HMR 134 Human Rights
Core Courses (12 units) –Choose three from the following:
- HMR 120A Art, Architecture, and Human Rights
- HMR 130 Special Topics in Human Rights
- HMR 131 Genocide
- HMR 136 Human Rights in the Middle East
- HMR 138 Human Rights, Gender, and Sexuality
- HMR 140A Human Rights and the Popular Imagination
- HMR 140B The Politics of Memory in: Truth, Justice, and Reconciliation
- HMR 161 Human Rights in Latin America
- HMR 162Y The History of Human Rights in Europe
- HMR 190 Seminar in Human Rights
In addition to the courses listed above, any course with the HMR prefix and numbered between 100-199 will count towards the core course requirements.
Elective Courses (4 units) –Choose one from the following or seek the approval of the program advisor for an unlisted course that treats a human rights related topic.
Suggested Elective (4 units)
- AAS 180 Race and Ethnicity in Latin America
- AMS 156 Race, Culture, and Society in the United States
- ANT 126A Anthropology of Development
- HIS 115E The African Slave Trade
- HIS 142A History of the Holocaust
- HIS 142B The Memory of the Holocaust
- HIS 159 Women and Gender in Latin American History
- HIS 165 Latin American Social Revolutions
- HIS 184 History of Sexuality in America
- NAS 120 Ethnopolitics of South American Indians
- POL 124 The Politics of Global Inequality
- SOC 104 The Political Economy of International Migration