Construction Engineering and Management
California's construction industry continues to experience high growth as it continues to accommodate increasing population and as it faces renewal of much of the infrastructure built by previous generations. At the same time, the construction industry faces challenges of scarce materials, a need for decreased environmental impact in terms of the construction process itself and operation of the completed project, and a more complex operational, regulatory and social context in which it must do its work.
The purpose of this minor is to better prepare professional civil and environmental engineers to thrive in this challenging industry, and to improve the efficiency of delivery and sustainability of the civil infrastructure in the state through their future efforts.
It is expected that engineering students will enroll in this minor program, including civil, mechanical, chemical and materials science majors. Students from other colleges can also complete this minor, but it is recommended that they review the requirements with one of the advisors before enrolling.
Students who are interested in construction of infrastructure in their discipline can make use of the skills that will be learned through completion of this minor.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade. A grade of C- or better is required for all courses used to satisfy minor requirements, with an overall GPA of 2.000 or better.
- All prerequisites for courses must have been taken for a letter grade; no grade lower than a C- will be accepted in any prerequisite course.
- Students must complete ENG 106 with a C- or better.
- The online Minor Declaration form is available via the Online Advising Student Information System (OASIS).
- Transcript notation must be requested no later than the quarter preceding graduation, and will appear as a minor in Construction Engineering and Management.
Complete the following courses (12 units)
- ECI 137 Construction Principles and Project Management (4 units)
- ECI 123 Urban Systems and Sustainability (4 units)
- ECI 153 Deterministic Optimization and Design (4 units)
Choose 12 units from the following
- ECI 179 Pavement Engineering (4 units)
- ARE 112 Fundamentals of Organization Management (4 units)
- ARE 155 Operations Research and Management Science (4 units)
- ARE 157 Analysis for Operations and Production Management (4 units)
- ARE 171A Financial Management of the Firm (Discontinued) (4 units)
- ARE 171B Financial Management of the Firm (Discontinued) (4 units)
- ECN 134 Financial Economics (4 units)
- ECN 162 International Economic Relations (4 units)
- ESP 161 Environmental Law (4 units)
- May include one from:
- ARE 018 Business Law (4 units)
- MGT 011A Elementary Accounting (4 units)
Total = 24 units
J. L. Darby
J. T. Harvey
J. R. Lund