The Colleges of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences, Engineering, and Letters & Science invite their graduating seniors to apply as the student speaker at the Fall Commencement Ceremony taking place in December 2018.
In order to qualify, you must:
- Be earning a degree from UC Davis
- Must have a minimum of 150 units completed by the start of Fall Quarter 2018
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must have registered to participate in Commencement
- Must be a student in the college you are applying for
- Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 19
- Your speech must be 3-5 minutes in length.
- Prepare a draft of your speech. Please include a title. Your draft doesn’t need to be in final form, however it should sufficiently convey the tone and content of your speech (note: please no political or religious messages).
- Submit your application via the online form and select your college.
A selection committee from members of all the colleges will review applications and invite a select number of candidates for interviews and auditions. We are looking for students who have an inspirational, unusual, funny or exceptionally moving story to tell, or an interesting way to tell it. Traditional speeches are always welcome, but feel free to be creative. The speech should make a connection to all attendees: faculty, family, friends, and others who have supported the efforts of the graduating students during their education here.
The speaker is chosen on the basis of speech content and presentation skills. Candidates who are invited to the audition should attend with a final version of the speech completed and be ready to give the speech as if at the actual commencement ceremony.
If you are selected to be the student speaker, you will be seated on stage during the ceremony, will have the opportunity to have pictures taken by a professional photographer, and are eligible to receive additional commencement tickets (based on availability) with reserved seating. You will be introduced by a member of the stage party and your name will be printed in the commencement program insert.