UC Davis Undergraduate Commencement Clear Bag Policy
To enhance safety and expedite entry to undergraduate commencement ceremonies, UC Davis will enforce a clear bag policy limiting the size and type of bags allowed into UC Davis University Credit Union Center. This is not a restriction on items you were previously allowed to bring into our venues; it is only a restriction on the type of container used to carry items. All approved bags are also subject to search.
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12”W x 6”H x 12”D.
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags.
- Small clutch bag approximately the size of a hand (no larger than 4.5”W x 6.5”H).
Prohibited bags include
- Purses larger than a clutch
- Mesh bags
- Waist packs
- Cinch bags
- Luggage of any kind
- Hard or soft sided coolers of any size
- Computer bags
- Camera bags
- Paper bags
- Shopping bags
- Seat cushions that have pockets, zippers, compartments or covers
- Any bag larger than the permissible size
Other prohibited items include
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animals (except service animals)
- Umbrellas of any size
- No poles or sticks – including selfie sticks and tripods
- Balloons or other inflatable decorations
- Signs or flags larger than 3’ by 2’
- Boxes or wrapped packages of any size
- Noisemakers, such as air horns, whistles or drums
- Illegal drugs / paraphernalia
- Smoking and vaping products
- Firearms, knives, explosives, or other weapons
- Skateboards, scooters, bicycles, etc.
- Aerosols, mace, or pepper spray
- Any other item(s) determined by event management to be dangerous or inappropriate will not be allowed into the venue
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will there be any exceptions to the bag policy?
- Some exceptions will be made for diaper bags, strollers and medically-necessary bags and equipment, but guests should plan additional time for inspection.
- What is allowed inside of a clear bag?
- This is not a restriction on items you were previously allowed to bring into our venues; it is only a restriction on the type of container used to carry items. Prohibited bags may not be placed in a clear bag in order to gain entry. The clear bag is to be used as a substitute for any bag that appears on the prohibited list.
- What is allowed inside of a clutch bag?
- Personal items may be enclosed in a small clutch bag, approximately the size of a hand. These small bags will be searched.
- Can I bring a camera, a computer, binoculars or a seat cushion?
- Yes, you can bring a camera into the venue, as long as you are carrying it or it is inside an approved bag. The same goes for a computer or binoculars. You can also bring a seat cushion, as long as it does not have a cover or pouch, which could function as a bag. Non-prohibited items that are not considered dangerous or inappropriate will be allowed inside the venue.
- Will there be a place to leave prohibited items/bags inadvertently brought to the venue?
- University personnel will not be responsible for holding prohibited items during the event. Items left outside the stadium by guests will be disposed of by stadium staff.
- Why is the university implementing this policy?
- This new policy for commencement is consistent with what many professional/NCAA sport and event venues have already implemented and is intended to facilitate a safe, timely entry to the venue.