Let the games begin in UC Davis Youth Programs this summer!
We’re talking about old favorites like Rec Sports Frenzy, Splashball and Bowling, and new camps on board games, video games and Minecraft.
Other camps from Youth Programs, a unit of Campus Recreation, include Craft, Music, Dance and Theatre, as well as Aggie Camp (featuring a variety of activities). The schedule includes camps in four age ranges from A (children entering kindergarten in the fall) to D (children entering Grades 6 through 8 this fall, typical ages 11-13) — plus specialty and teen camps, over a 10-week period, June 15-Aug. 21. Most camps last a week.
Youth Programs are in the water, too, with Swim Camp (a combination of swim lessons and other activities for the B group) and Junior Lifeguard Training. Regular swim lessons are offered through Campus Recreation’s Aquatics unit.
Children’s Activities Fair
This annual event, coordinated by UC Davis Youth Programs and the city of Davis, will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday (Feb. 25) at the Veterans Memorial Center, 203 E. 14th St., a change-up from past years when the fair has been held at the Saturday Farmers Market. The campus and city will join up with other organizations to present information about their summer offerings. Free admission.
Besides the gaming series, other new offerings from UC Davis Youth Programs this summer will include:
- Music composition camps and workshops, plus Music and Art Around the World, and Glee! An A Cappella Workshop (all in partnership with the Department of Music)
- Nature Craft Camp and STEAM Craft Camp
- Exploration camps in sports and theatre for B campers
- Exploring Series (with camps in Engineering, Fitness, Outdoors and UC Davis) for D-level participants
Not every camp is offered at every level, and not all camps are offered every week of the summer program.
Priority registration for UC Davis affiliates is tentatively scheduled to open at noon Monday, March 2, and open enrollment is set to begin a week later, March 9. Check the Summer Camps website for the latest information.
Youth Programs offers extended day options for all ages, except in combination with partner programs.
UC Davis swim lessons
The aquatics division of Campus Recreation runs this summer program, June 22-Aug. 13, featuring group lessons (two-week sessions) and private lessons (weeklong sessions). Online registration opens Monday, March 16. See more information, including the lesson calendar.
City of Davis
The city’s Parks and Community Services has posted its summer RecGuide here and announced two registration periods:
- Priority registration for outdoor education — For Davis residents only (children must reside in the Davis Joint Unified School District). 8 a.m. Tuesday, March 3, to 5 p.m. Friday, March 6.
- General registration for all summer camps and programs — Open to Davis and non-Davis residents. Starting at 8 a.m. Tuesday, March 10. During general registration, any remaining spaces in outdoor recreation will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.