- UC Davis partners with Sudwerk Brewing Co.
- Alumni contribute the recipe and the rice for ‘Gunrock’ lager
- Alumni Wine Program offers ‘Discovery’ chardonnay and ‘Pioneer’ red blend
Cheers to UC Davis and our new beer! Yes, indeed, as a world leader in brewing science and education, we are rolling out a UC Davis-branded beer. It’s a light-bodied lager called Gunrock, and it’ll be for sale at The Pavilion at the ARC when the men’s basketball team opens its home season, Wednesday, Nov. 29.
The name, of course, comes from our mascot — named after a Thoroughbred racehorse from our storied past as the University Farm. Other parts of the beer are all UC Davis, too:
- Recipe — By alumnus Doug Muhleman, retired Anheuser-Busch vice president.
- Rice — Donated by alumnus Jack De Wit.
- Brewer — Sudwerk Brewing Co. of Davis, longtime host of UC Davis Extension brewing classes. The brewer is donating the value of the rice on an ongoing basis to the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Sudwerk is UC Davis’ official partner in Gunrock lager, which will be on tap at Sudwerk’s Dock Store, 2001 Second St. A portion of the proceeds will go to support UC Davis and UC Davis athletics.
Markstein Beverage Co., has agreed to distribute the beer to Davis restaurants. And don’t forget to look for the beer at basketball games.
Celebrating 250,000 living alumni
The Cal Aggie Alumni Association’s Alumni Wine Program is celebrating a UC Davis milestone — 250,000 living alumni (and counting) — and invites you to celebrate, too, with the program’s first-ever alumni wine collection: Discovery and Pioneer.
Not only are the wines from two of the university’s alumni wine partners, but the labels feature art by UC Davis faculty members.
- Discovery is a 2016 chardonnay from Heringer Estates Vineyards of Clarksburg. The label art is by Gina Werfel, professor of art. Price: $18 a bottle CAAA members, $25 nonmembers.
- Pioneer is a 2012 red blend from Ceja Vineyards of the Napa Valley. The label art is by Hearne Pardee, professor of art. Price: $30 a bottle CAAA members, $35 nonmembers.
Orders can be placed online. Minimum purchase three bottles of either wine.
Dateline Staff, 530-752-6556, firstname.lastname@example.org