With more than 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students earning degrees at spring commencements, the University of California, Davis, today announced reaching a new milestone — more than 250,000 living alumni.
“As we preside over joyous commencement ceremonies for UC Davis students destined to make their mark in the world, we take pride in how our university, students and alumni continue to achieve true excellence,” said UC Davis Interim Chancellor Ralph J. Hexter, noting that the university is a globally respected public research university with a growing reputation for scholarship, service and a commitment to diversity.
“UC Davis now has more than a quarter of a million alumni living in California, across the United States and around the globe,” said Rich Engel, assistant vice chancellor for alumni relations and executive director of the Cal Aggie Alumni Association. “This milestone is an especially significant accomplishment because our alumni — who go on to feed the world, innovate and build a more sustainable future — are well known for having an important impact on our economy and society. Together, our alumni change the world and are eager to help future generations of Aggies do the same.”
Just a few of our notable alumni include:
- Tre Borden, MBA ’11, art consultant and producer
- Diane Bryant ’85, executive vice president and general manager, Data Center Group, Intel Corp.
- Tracy Caldwell-Dyson, Ph.D. ’97, astronaut
- Tani Cantil-Sakauye ’80, J.D. ’84, chief justice, California Supreme Court
- Sir Chung-Kong Chow ’74, chairman, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
- Stephen Robinson ’78, former astronaut and current UC Davis professor
- Richard Rominger ’49, former California Secretary of Agriculture
- Bill Sullivan ’72, former CEO of Agilent Technologies
- Joseph Tam, Ph.D. ’69, Founder of DiagCor Bioscience Incorporated
- Martin Yan ’73, M.S. ’77, renowned chef
Eighty percent of UC Davis alumni live in California. The university ranks 31st among the top 50 U.S. universities and colleges for the amount of money made 20 years after earning a degree. UC Davis also is the top-ranked UC in alumni earnings above expectation and in value added to student earnings 10 years after enrollment.