Students at the University of California, Davis, have a special opportunity to learn more about their university through a new job shadowing program with campus leaders.
Chancellor Gary S. May is launching the UC Davis Leadership Job Shadow Program.
The program will partner a student with one of 12 senior campus leaders, including the chancellor, for a full day that may include observing and participating in meetings, attending events, and meeting other staff and faculty.
“My hope is that students will gain a greater appreciation for our wonderful campus and a deeper understanding of the complexity and challenges of running a large research university,” May wrote in an announcement for the program. “Likewise, campus leaders will have the opportunity to gain insight from the experiences and perspectives of the students.”
Open to undergraduate and graduate students, the program will be offered monthly through the fall, winter and spring quarters. Student participants will be selected through a competitive application and screening process.
The program is calling for applicants with an avid interest in learning about the university and its structure. They must commit to shadowing the designated administrator for an entire day and to sharing their experience with other students — by speaking to a class or student group, or discussing it through social media, for example.
In addition to May, participating administrators will include members of his cabinet:
- Kevin Blue, director of athletics
- Cameron Carter, interim vice chancellor, Office of Research
- Karl Engelbach, associate chancellor and chief of staff
- Emily Galindo, interim vice chancellor (May 1), Student Affairs
- Ralph J. Hexter, provost and executive vice chancellor
- Shaun Keister, vice chancellor, Development and Alumni Relations
- Thomas Nesbitt, interim vice chancellor, Human Health Sciences
- Kelly Ratliff, vice chancellor, Finance, Operations and Administration
- Rahim Reed, interim lead, Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Mike Sweeney, interim chief campus counsel
- Dana Topousis, chief marketing and communications officer
Students can learn more about the program and apply online.
Gary Sandy, Office of the Chancellor and Provost, 530-752-9186, email@example.com
Julia Ann Easley, UC Davis News and Media Relations, 530-752-8248, firstname.lastname@example.org