Hot events this week: art and a musical
- Mamma Mia! Davis Musical Theatre Company, Friday, Sept. 6, 8 p.m.
- The classic musical featuring irresistibly catchy ABBA songs comes to Davis for the month of September.
- See more Mamma Mia! show times here.
- First Friday Art Walk, Downtown Woodland, Saturday, Sept. 6, 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., free
- Take a self-guided tour through historic downtown Woodland. Pop into local businesses to admire displays of local art.
Don't miss the train: railroad exhibitions closing soon
The anniversary celebrations of the transcontinental railroad at both UC Davis and the Crocker Art Museum end this month. At the Crocker, through Sept. 29, the exhibition celebrates the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad at Promontory Summit, Utah, on May 10, 1869, when the Central Pacific and its eastern counterpart, the Union Pacific, were joined by a golden spike. Two photographers, Andrew Joseph Russell for the Union Pacific and Alfred A. Hart for the Central Pacific, documented the railroad's challenging path through mountains and plains. Their original photographs and stereoviews, as well as archival materials relating to the Promontory Summit ceremony, provide a new view into this transformative event, which allowed Sacramento — and E. B. Crocker — to prosper.
UC Davis has an exhibition at the library, too. Read more about that exhibition, which goes through Sept. 20, in this Arts Blog Lunchable. Lunchables feature exhibitions you can tour in a lunch or other short break.
Art on twitter
Our favorite art tweet this week is this UC Davis staff member's sketch of the soon-to-be very busy Bike Barn.
This arts blog information was compiled by Leigh Houck, UC Davis News and Media Relations Intern.