Crocker Holds Poetry Night and Native American art event
The Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento is hosting an open mic poetry night Thursday, Oct. 24, in honor of the late Frank LaPena. LaPena was a painter, poet, and cocurator of the current exhibition When I Remember I See Red: American Indian Art and Activism in California. Open mic sign-ups begin at 6 p.m. with event at 7 p.m.
Also at the Crocker, “Art History: Pacific Western Traders,” Sunday Oct. 27, 10:30 a.m., $30 members, $45 nonmembers
- Join artists Meyo Marrufo and Sigrid Benson to learn about the now-defunct historic Pacific Western Traders store in Folsom: “...participants will gain an appreciation of the pivotal role of this community space in the development of a California Indian art market, and learn to contextualize the art history of our region from a local native perspective.”
Shinkoskey Noon Concert: Dominic Favia, Baroque Trumpet, Recital Hall, Ann E. Pitzer Center, UC Davis, Thursday Oct. 24, 12:05 to 1 p.m., free
- This week’s Shinkoskey Noon Concert features Baroque pieces for the trumpet performed by UC Davis lecturer in Music Dominic Favia. Favia will be accompanied by Janine Johnson on the harpsichord.
- More information on this concert and other upcoming Shinkoskey Noon Concerts here
Artist-Led Workshops and Salons, Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art, free
- Attend workshops on “Symmetry, Pattern, and Variation” by this month’s artist, Roma Devanbu. Workshops are Saturdays and Sundays, Oct. 5 through Oct. 27 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. These workshops are free and no RSVP is required.
- For more information on upcoming workshops and salons, click here and scroll to the bottom. November will feature artist Steph Rue. Her weekend workshops, starting Saturday Nov. 2, will be “Joomchi: Playing With Paper.”
Works by Wayne Thiebaud, Natsoulas Gallery, Wednesday Oct. 30 to Saturday Nov. 30, free
- Natsoulas Gallery invites you to celebrate Wayne Thiebaud’s 99th birthday by enjoying a retrospective that includes paintings and other works on paper. Opening reception Nov. 9, 7 - 9 p.m.
- Learn more about Thiebaud and the exhibition here. Natsoulas Gallery address and hours available here
YoloArts 12th Annual Art Farm Gala, Hotel Woodland, 436 Main Street, Friday Nov. 1, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., tickets $40-$250
- Come support the arts and land preservation at the YoloArts Farm Gala. Guests will enjoy small bites and wine and beer tastings while perusing the artworks from the Art & Ag Project. The Art & Ag Project runs year round: artists visit a different private farm every month, then capture what they see in their preferred medium. The gala will also feature a silent auction and live music from Mike Blanchard and The Californios.
- Learn more about the Art & Ag Project and the Art Farm Gala in this Arts Blog story.
Joshua Bell Violin Concert, Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts, Saturday Nov. 2, 8 p.m.
- The world renowned violinist comes to Davis for one night. He will perform classical pieces from artists Franck, Schubert, and others. He will be accompanied by Alessio Bax on piano.
- Learn more and purchase tickets here
- Learn more about the Stradivarius’ history in this Mondavi blog piece.
Art Social Media of the Week
This week, we look to Hyperallergic on twitter, which features a new African American quilt collection at UC Berkeley.