The 2020 Initiative: A Path to Academic Excellence and Economic Opportunity
In March 2013, the university launched the “2020 Initiative,” an ambitious plan to build on the institution’s excellence, create a more diverse community of scholars, and achieve financial stability. Based on more than a year of extensive study and consultation with the campus community and regional stakeholders, the 2020 Initiative put the university on a path toward adding up to 5,000 new students by 2020, along with corresponding increases in graduate students, faculty, staff and facilities.
The 2020 Initiative will help UC Davis achieve several strategic objectives:
- Deliver the benefits of a UC education to an additional 5,000 deserving undergraduates – both California resident and non-resident students alike.
- Provide more international experiences for our campus community to create a more diverse educational climate and prepare future global leaders.
- Boost regional economic development and create new jobs on and off campus.
- Provide sufficient additional revenue to support up to 300 new faculty positions.
- Improve our existing infrastructure and make investments needed to sustain and grow excellence.
- Increase financial stability by generating resources to replace declining state funding.
Feedback is welcomed and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates and information
- Provost Hexter's fall message to faculty includes an update on the 2020 Initiative (11.3.15)
- 2020 Initiative Update (6.16.14)
- Implementation Plan: Year 1 (8.12.13)
- Chancellor's message to campus community regarding the 2020 Initiative (3.7.13)
- Joint Report of the 2020 Task Forces (11.1.12)
- The 2020 Initiative: Work Plan (11.30.11)
- 2020 Initiative to move forward (UC Davis News Service, 3.7.13)
- New 2020 task forces report offers recommendations for campus growth (Dateline, 11.2.12)
- Work continues over summer on 2020 Initiative (UC Davis News Service, 6.28.12)
- 2020 INITIATIVE: Task forces ready to start work in January (Dateline, 12.16.11)
- First meeting of the Provost's Task Forces for the 2020 Initiative (YouTube video, 12.12.11)
- Chancellor announces plan to grow enrollment, jobs (UC Davis News Service, 9.21.11)