The San Francisco Symphony will launch the Mondavi Center’s 20th anniversary season, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 6, almost 20 years to the day after the orchestra performed for the center’s formal dedication.
The opening follows a preseason warmup by “Weird Al” Yankovic last Saturday (Sept. 24), appearing in a sold-out Jackson Hall.
- $20 FOR OUR 20TH — Just announced, for everyone, $20 tickets for select events, starting with the San Francisco Symphony, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 6.
- WELL-BEING TICKET DEAL: Staff and faculty, this is for you, $10 tickets to select shows throughout the season,
starting with “The Queen of Mariachi” Aida Cuevas on her 45th anniversary tour, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 12.
MORE INFORMATION BELOW
Tickets were still available as of early this afternoon (Sept. 27) for the San Francisco Symphony concert, with the symphony's new music director, Esa-Pekka Salonen, and featuring soprano Golda Schultz. See the Discounts box and more information below about the new $20 for Our 20th anniversary ticket deal, which starts with the San Francisco Symphony concert.
The concert will launch a season of rich and varied performances, the kind that Mondavi Center audiences have come to expect.
“We knew that our 20th anniversary season needed to be special,” Don Roth, executive director, said earlier this year in announcing the 2022-23 lineup. “That, as always, we would discover amazing new artists such as Emmet Cohen and Becca Stevens. That we would bring, as well, Mondavi Center favorites, when possible, exploring a different side of their talent, such as Yo-Yo Ma performing at the center of arguably the greatest trio in the world with Emanuel Ax (piano) and Leonidas Kavakos (violin).
“What we didn't know, when we first starting thinking about this anniversary season, is that we would be emerging from a time that has challenged everyone one of us, our staff, the artists we present and the patrons we welcome. I feel so fortunate that I get to work with the great Mondavi Center team to provide the kinds of restorative experiences — through music, dance, theater and lectures — that can lift us out of our daily life and concerns, and provide enrichment, entertainment and joy.”
The 20th season
Tickets are available as follows:
- $20 FOR OUR 20TH — For everyone: $20 tickets for select events, to be announced only in the Mondavi Center’s ArtsMail newsletter (subscribe here). The first offer, announced today: $20 for select seats for the San Francisco Symphony, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 6. See today’s ArtsMail for the details, including promo code. Offer expires Oct. 2.
- WELL-BEING TICKET DEAL — For staff and faculty: $10 tickets to select shows throughout the season, starting with “The Queen of Mariachi” Aida Cuevas on her 45th anniversary tour, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 12. Tickets are available here (limit two per person); the promo code is preloaded. Or visit the box office, open noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. The Well-Being Ticket Deal is sponsored by the Staff and Faculty Health and Well-Being Program, the Mondavi Center and the University Credit Union.
- MORE FOR STAFF AND FACULTY: You save 10% on other, individual events, and 25% on three events of your choosing.