The Aggie football team, defending champions in the Big Sky Conference, will make a splash at the team’s annual Fan Fest this Friday (Aug. 16) — free and open to the public — as the season opener fast approaches.
Meanwhile, a star from last year’s team — wide receiver Keelan Doss — made a splash in his NFL debut last weekend, making a touchdown catch for the Oakland Raiders in their first preseason game, a 14-3 victory over the Los Angeles Rams, Saturday (Aug. 10) at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.
A Raiders news release quoted Doss as saying: “In college, I think that’s what kind of prepared me for now. I played every single position just to give me the best opportunity to get open, so translating that to now I think that probably made an impact.”
In announcing his signing with the Raiders, UC Davis Athletics reported: “No UC Davis player in program history has more career receptions (312), receiving yards (4,069) or 100-yard games (19) than Doss, who also holds Division I program-high figures in total touchdowns (29), receiving touchdowns (28) and all-purpose yards (4,218).”
His first NFL touchdown isn’t the only exposure Doss is getting on television. Tonight (Aug. 13), he is due to appear on Episode 2 of HBO’s Hard Knocks series — a show that follows an NFL team through training camp each season. In following the Raiders this year, the producers filmed Doss at UC Davis last week.
But enough about last year’s team. We’ve got the Football Fan Fest to look forward to this week and the annual Kickoff Party for fall sports, Saturday, Aug. 24. Then, a week after that, the Aggies open their season at Cal, in the second matchup between the Aggies and the Bears in 10 years and only the third since 1939. UC Davis Tailgate will precede the Cal game.
Football Fan Fest
Come participate in drills with the players, jump into the Kids Zone (with inflatables and games), meet the team, collect autographs and celebrate the unveiling of the “UC Davis Health Stadium” sign — the result of a 20-year sponsorship deal.
- WHEN: 6-8 p.m. Friday (Aug. 16)
- WHERE: UC Davis Health Stadium (entry sign to be unveiled during the Fan Fest)
- ADMISSION: Free
- RSVP ONLINE
- PARKING: Lot 56, behind the scoreboard
Each person who comes through the gates will receive a voucher for a free slice of pizza and a soft drink. Additional slices plus beer and wine will be available for purchase (no charge for beer and wine for season-ticket holders).
The event also provides an opportunity for fans to pick up their season tickets and Big Sky championship replica rings. See more ticket information below, including mini plans and the UC Davis Children’s Hospital Family Pack.
- WHAT: Football, field hockey, women’s and men’s soccer, and men’s water polo coaches will talk about their upcoming seasons.
- WHEN: 6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24
- WHERE: Miner’s Leap Winery, 54250 S. River Road, Clarksburg
- ADMISSION: $30
- RSVP ONLINE
UC Davis Tailgate at Cal
- WHEN: 12:30-3:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31
- WHERE: Evans Diamond, UC Berkeley
UC Davis hosts this tailgate (with game ticket and transportation options) before the UC Davis-Cal football game at Memorial Stadium (kickoff 3:30 p.m.). Tailgate includes buffet lunch with hamburgers, hot dogs, barbecue chicken, salad, baked beans and fresh watermelon; soft drinks, water, iced tea and two alcoholic beverages per paying adult (beer and wine only). Tickets are available online for the tailgate only, $25-$60; or in packages: tailgate and game ticket, $45-$95; and tailgate, game ticket and bus transportation to and from the game, $75-$125.
UC Davis Magazine: "Settling the Score," about the Davis-Berkeley game of 1939.
The home schedule
All games are on Saturdays.
- Sept. 14 — vs. Lehigh, 7 p.m., Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day, UC Davis Health Stadium Dedication, Youth Day
- Sept. 28 — vs. Montana, 1 p.m., Educator Appreciation Day, Cal Aggie Athletics Hall of Fame Game
- Oct. 12 — vs. Cal Poly (Battle for the Golden Horseshoe), time TBA, Homecoming, Parent/Family Weekend
- Oct. 26 — vs. Weber State, time TBA, Brewfest, Cheer/Dance Clinic
- Nov. 16 — vs. Montana State, time TBA, Salute to Heroes, Ag Day, Vet Med Day, Senior Day
- In person (northeast corner of the stadium) — 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Phone — 530-752-AGS1 (2471)
- Season tickets
- UC Davis Children’s Hospital Family Pack
- Bay Pack — One away game, Aug. 31 at Cal; and two home games, Oct. 12 vs. Cal Poly and Nov. 16 vs. Montana State
- 3-Game Mini Plan (all at UC Davis) — Sept. 14 vs. Lehigh, Oct. 12 vs. Cal Poly and Oct. 26 vs. Weber State
- Brewfest Combo Ticket — Attend the 10th annual Brewfest and the game afterward, against Weber State, Oct. 26.