Support the Commencement Ceremonies!
You are invited to join our Commencement Ambassador team to help make this year’s fall undergraduate commencement an unforgettable experience for our graduates. The call for Commencement Ambassadors will go live on April 1, 2024.
Each ambassador plays an important role in the commencement experience. Ambassadors have a range of duties, including greeting students, helping students to line up. directing graduates to and from the stage and more. Ambassadors may be assigned multiple roles in advance and will be trained to perform their roles. There is flexibility in roles in order to accommodate different abilities.
Our ambassadors will serve multiple roles, including:
- Guest Services
- Graduate Support
- Special Events Room - Faculty/Stage Party Support
- Stage Support
- General Event Support
In order to receive the necessary instruction to perform their duties, every ambassador will need to attend a virtual orientation. If you cannot participate in a virtual orientation, then you are expected to view a recorded version prior to your shift. The orientation schedule will be posted closer to the events.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I choose my role/assignment?
- During your sign-up process, you will be asked to declare your role preferences. To the greatest extent possible, the event staff will accommodate role preferences. However, we appreciate your willingness to serve in other capacities to ensure we have enough Ambassadors performing each task. There will be flexibility in assignments in order to accommodate different abilities.
- What if I can't attend an orientation?
- We are asking Ambassadors to attend a virtual orientation to ensure they have a full understanding of their roles and duties and are prepared and confident going into their shifts. For those who are unable to attend an online orientation, the session will be recorded and made available.
- What if I need to cancel my shift?
- We are depending on you to show up as scheduled, but if you are sick or unable to perform your shift please notify the Ambassador Coordinator as soon as possible.
- How many Ambassadors are needed for the commencement ceremonies?
- The commencement planning team estimates needing 50-60 ambassadors for each of the ceremonies.
- Who’s eligible to become a Commencement Ambassador?
- The university is inviting all staff and students to serve as Commencement Ambassadors. As a thank you for your time, the university is offering gifts, see below.
- Will I be able to earn compensatory time off for my service?
- No. Commencement Ambassadors will receive gifts for their time.
- What will I get for serving as an Ambassador?
- Ambassadors are given a token of appreciation for their time. The exact details for 2024 ambassadors are still getting worked out, so come back again soon for updates.