Support the Commencement Ceremonies!
You are invited to join our Commencement Ambassador team to help make this year’s fall undergraduate commencement an unforgettable experience for our graduates.
Gifts for Participation
As a token of our appreciation for your time, ambassadors will receive the following gifts:
- $75 Visa gift card
- Free Parking
- Lanyard* and Collectible Pin*
*only available to volunteers who did not also support the June 2023 Commencement at Golden 1 Center.
What to Expect
There will be one fall ceremony at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 16, 2023 held at the University Credit Union Center on the UC Davis campus. Ambassadors may sign up, and provide role preferences and dietary restrictions.
About two weeks before the ceremonies, ambassadors will receive their assignments, learn about their duties and receive virtual orientation and training. When you arrive for your assignment, you’ll be given a t-shirt* and lanyard* and additional in-person training if needed.
At the end of your shift, you’ll be provided a $75 Visa gift card as a gift for your time.
There will be a place in the staff lounge to store belongings, but we recommend leaving valuables at home.
Each ambassador plays an important role in the commencement experience. Ambassadors have a range of duties, including greeting students, helping students to line up. directing graduates to and from the stage and more. Ambassadors may be assigned multiple roles in advance and will be trained to perform their roles. There is flexibility in roles in order to accommodate different abilities.
Our ambassadors will serve multiple roles, including:
- Guest Services
- Graduate Support
- Special Events Room - Faculty/Stage Party Support
- Stage Support
- General Event Support
Parking is free of charge to volunteers. Ambassadors should park in the Pavilion parking structure.
In order to receive the necessary instruction to perform their duties, every ambassador will need to attend a virtual orientation. If you cannot participate in a virtual orientation, then you are expected to view a recorded version prior to your shift. The orientation schedule will be posted closer to the events.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I choose my role/assignment?
- During your sign-up process, you will be asked to declare your role preferences. To the greatest extent possible, the event staff will accommodate role preferences. However, we appreciate your willingness to serve in other capacities to ensure we have enough Ambassadors performing each task. There will be flexibility in assignments in order to accommodate different abilities.
- What if I can't attend an orientation?
- We are asking Ambassadors to attend a virtual orientation to ensure they have a full understanding of their roles and duties and are prepared and confident going into their shifts. For those who are unable to attend an online orientation, the session will be recorded and made available.
- What if I need to cancel my shift?
- We are depending on you to show up as scheduled, but if you are sick or unable to perform your shift please notify the Ambassador Coordinator as soon as possible.
- How many Ambassadors are needed for the commencement ceremony?
- The commencement planning team estimates needing 50-60 ambassadors for the ceremony.
- Who’s eligible to become a Commencement Ambassador?
- The university is inviting all staff and students to serve as a Commencement Ambassador. As a thank you for your time, the university is offering gifts, see below.
- Will I be able to earn compensatory time off for my service?
- No. Commencement Ambassadors will receive gifts for their time.
- What will I get for serving as an Ambassador?
- As a token of our appreciation, ambassadors will be gifted with a $75 Visa gift card, lanyard, and a collectable pin as a gift for your time.