UC Davis employees donated more than 1,700 pounds of non-perishable food and toiletries in this year’s Employee Giving Supplies Drive.
The items — which topped last year’s total by 200 pounds — will be distributed to students through the ASUCD Pantry and Aggie Compass Basic Needs Center. The campus-wide annual event, hosted by the Employee Giving Committee (representing the UC Davis Employee Giving Program), was held between Jan. 16-24, in honor of the Martin Luther King Jr. Week of Service.
The Employee Giving Supplies Drive helps replenish goods at The Pantry, a student-run, student-led organization that provides food and other essentials to UC Davis students. The Pantry was established to help offset financial burdens and ensure that students have access to nutritious food and basic necessities while working to obtain their degrees.
"The Employee Giving Supplies Drive received widespread praise from students across campus,” said Charlotte Zhao, external affairs manager of the Pantry. “The generosity of the donors not only restocked essential items on the pantry shelves, but also fostered a stronger sense of unity and positivity within the campus community.”
Teams representing 20 departments, units, and schools participated in the drive. Teams were encouraged to decorate a box to inspire colleagues to bring in items that include hygiene products, which are costly purchases for students facing financial challenges. The team for Advancement Services in Development and Alumni Relations, or DEVAR, amassed the heaviest collection of food and toiletries, weighing in at 235 ½ pounds.
The Employee Giving Committee expressed gratitude to Transportation Services for picking up supplies from around campus and dropping them off at The Pantry. The committee also expressed thanks to all participating teams:
- Student Services (School of Education)
- Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Undergraduate Education and Advising Office (College of Letters and Science)
- College of Biological Sciences Dean’s Office
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- UC Davis Library
- Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Foundation Plant Services
- UC Davis Athletics
- Department of Human Ecology
- College of Engineering
- Annual and Special Gifts Program (DEVAR)
- Advancement Services (DEVAR)
- Donor Relations (DEVAR)
- Foundation and Corporate Engagement (DEVAR)
- Prospect Management and Research (DEVAR)
- Proposal Services (DEVAR)
- Arts Group Advising Center
- Student Housing
- Child Care
Bryan Anthony is a senior writer for the Annual and Special Gifts Program in the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, and can be reached by email or phone, 530-754-0482.