Graduation gowns go blue and green
For graduation, black has turned to blue — and gone green.
Students are wearing newly designed graduation gowns that are UC Davis blue with gold trim and environmentally friendly in their construction and care. The baccalaureate gowns also feature the “UC Davis” logo.
Dev Dhillon, expecting to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in neurology, physiology and behavior, picked up his gown on Monday. “It’s cool. I like the color,” he said.
Graduate student and professional school gowns are blue, too, and have new designs. Master’s gowns feature long panels off the sleeves, and doctoral gowns feature navy blue velvet panels on the front and three chevrons, or stripes, on each sleeve.
The regalia for some 7,000 graduates arrived in two tractor-trailers and is being distributed at The Pavilion this week for ceremonies June 11 to 15.
The gowns are from Herff Jones, which has supplied UC Davis commencement regalia for some 20 years. The company proposed the color change last fall when UC Davis asked companies for expressions of interest in providing caps and gowns for future years.
Tracy Roman of UC Davis Stores helped work with campus and student leadership to vet the color and designs. “Everyone who saw them loved them,” she said.
UC Davis, which prides itself on sustainability, liked their green features, too. The gowns are made entirely from recycled materials; about 75 post-consumer plastic bottles go into each gown.
And the rental gowns are cleaned in environmentally friendly solvent, with 90 percent of the solvent captured and reused — higher than the guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Students preordered the gowns and accessories in packages starting at $52. The students keep the caps and tassels, while returning the gowns for cleaning and use by the next class.
- School of Education — Wednesday, June 11, 4 p.m., Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts
- Graduate Studies — Thursday, June 12, 4 p.m., The Pavilion
- School of Veterinary Medicine — Friday, June 13, 10 a.m., Mondavi Center
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences — Ceremonies by major, Friday, June 13, 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., The Pavilion
- College of Letters and Science — Ceremonies by major, Saturday, June 14, 9 a.m., and 2 and 7 p.m., The Pavilion
- Graduate School of Management — Saturday, June 14, 10 a.m., Mondavi Center
- College of Biological Sciences — Sunday, June 15, 9 a.m., The Pavilion
- College of Engineering — Sunday, June 15, 3 p.m., The Pavilion
Fix 50: Be advised a construction project is underway 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on U.S. Highway 50 westbound in central Sacramento.