- Field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer have games on campus between now and Sept. 4
- Football hosts Women’s Huddle, Aug. 26; and Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day, Sept. 24
- Men’s basketball team departs Aug. 20 for Costa Rica, to work at an orphanage and play three games
School doesn’t start for about a month, but many student-athletes are already back for practice and competition. Spectators are welcome, of course, and female football fans can do more than watch, by coming out for the Women’s Huddle.
Meanwhile, the men’s basketball team departs this Saturday (Aug. 20) for a weeklong visit to Costa Rica, to work at an orphanage and play three games.
There are several Intercollegiate Athletics games and exhibitions to see right here on campus, from now through Labor Day:
- Field hockey exhibition with Cal, 1 p.m. Wednesday (Aug. 17), Aggie Field Hockey Facility. Free admission.
- Men’s soccer exhibition with Chico State, 5 p.m. Sunday (Aug. 21), Aggie Soccer Field. Free admission.
- A double-header of sorts, Friday, Aug. 26, field hockey vs. Northeastern (2 p.m.), Aggie Field Hockey Facility; and men’s soccer vs. San Jose State (5 p.m.), Aggie Soccer Field. Free admission to field hockey. Men's soccer tickets.
- Women’s soccer vs. Fresno State, 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 4, Aggie Soccer Field. Tickets.
Football and the Women’s Huddle
The Aggie football program hosts the huddle annually, inviting women to take the field with players and coaches, to learn about the X’s and O’s and to participate in fun drills. Watch video above from last year. This year’s huddle is scheduled for Friday, Aug. 26, at Aggie Stadium, with check-in at 5:30 p.m. and the clinic starting at 6:30.
The cost is $45 (or $25 for staff and faculty); the fee includes T-shirt, hors d’oeuvres and beverages. Registration information and other details are available here.
The football team opens its preseason schedule Saturday, Sept. 3, at the University of Oregon, in a game to be presented on Pac-12 Networks (2 p.m. kickoff). The Aggies play at home the next week, Sept. 10, with a "throwback" game, 6 p.m. kickoff against Southern Oregon.
Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day
The Aggies are on the road again the next week and then come home for their first conference game of the season, Saturday, Sept. 24, vs. Weber State, 6 p.m. kickoff. Athletics will celebrate the UC Davis community in a big way at this game: First, it’ll be Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day (tickets available at a discount), and, second, as part of the pregame activities, freshmen will be invited to run through the stadium tunnel and onto the field, in what we call the Running of the First-Years.
Other fall sports
The men's and women's cross country teams start their season with the Aggie Open, Sept. 3. Other teams start their seasons on the road:
- Women’s volleyball, Aug. 26-27, University of North Dakota Classic, Grand Forks; Sept. 2-3, Oregon Classic, Eugene; and Sept. 9-10, Wolf Pack Tournament, Reno, Nevada
- Men’s water polo, Sept. 3-4, Bruno Invitational, Providence, Rhode Island
- Men’s golf, Sept. 10-11, Rod Meyers Invitational (Duke University), Durham, N.C.; Sept. 12-13, San Francisco Intercollegiate (University of San Francisco); and Sept. 25-26, Windon Memorial Classic (Northwestern University), Glenview, Illinois
- Women’s golf, Sept. 12-13, Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational, Albuquerque, New Mexico; Sept. 18-20, East-West Match Play Challenge, Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Sept. 26-28, Golfweek Challenge, Vail, Colorado
- Men’s tennis, Sept. 23-25, Battle in the Bay Classic, San Francisco
- Women’s tennis, Sept. 30-Oct. 2, Cal Nike Invitational, Berkeley
- Women's swimming and diving, Oct. 21, vs. Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles
Complete schedules and home-event ticket information. Admission is free to cross country, field hockey, golf, swimming and diving, and tennis events at home, unless otherwise noted on the athletics website.
Athletics Ticket Office, north end of Aggie Stadium, open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Telephone: 530-752-AGS1 (2471).
Dateline Staff, 530-752-6556, firstname.lastname@example.org