Fall classes haven’t even started at UC Davis, but employers are already looking to recruit UC Davis students for internships and career positions that will begin in June 2018.
While it can take less time to get an internship, a general rule of thumb is that it takes six-to-nine months to get a career job. Though these are generally entry-level jobs, many will position you for advancement.
By the way, alumni, if you are within your first year of graduation, you are also eligible to attend career fairs, go to workshops and use other services at the Internship and Career Center.
Here are five ways to get started now.
1. Log onto Aggie Job Link
Employers are posting new positions every day.
2. Attend an Internship and Career Center workshop
We can help you get your resume and cover letter polished. Workshops are offered weekly: Check out the schedule.
3. Put our career fairs on your calendar
Companies have already started registering for our 2017-2018 internship and career fairs. See the list of employers participating on Aggie Job Link. The fairs, except for one exclusively for graduate students and postgraduate scholars, are open to undergraduates, graduate students, postdoctoral researchers and recent graduates from UC Davis. The fair dates are:
- Wednesday, Oct. 18, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Activities and Recreation Center Pavilion
- Thursday, Oct. 19, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., ARC Pavilion
- Wednesday Oct. 18, 2:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m., ARC Pavilion, Upper Level
- Wednesday, Jan. 24, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., ARC Pavilion
- Wednesday, Feb. 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., ARC Pavilion
- Wednesday, April 18, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., ARC Pavilion
4. Get an on-campus interview with potential employers
Many companies conduct their first-round interviews at the fairs here on campus. To see which companies are on the list and apply for a job, follow these instructions.
5. Work with an ICC advisor to prepare your interview
The ICC is available to assist you in identifying what type of internship or career will be a good fit for you. We can also help you search for the right position once you have focused on a career. Come visit us in South Hall, Monday through Friday 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Make an appointment online through Aggie Job Link.
Andrea Hanson is associate director for the UC Davis Internship and Career Center. A college graduate with a liberal arts degree, she is passionate about helping students design meaningful careers and chart the next steps in their future.