Graduate programs at the University of California, Davis, in the biological sciences, medicine and agricultural engineering are ranked among the top 20 in the U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 graduate school rankings, released today (March 19).
The list reveals new rankings for business, law, education, engineering, mathematics and physical sciences, medical and nursing programs. The annual Best Graduate Schools rankings are based on different types of data: survey results relating to academic excellence and statistical indicators that assess the achievements of a program or school’s students and faculty.
Biology, health and engineering programs on the rise
In the Best Graduate Biological Sciences Programs category, UC Davis tied for the 18th spot overall among more than 250 public and private national universities in the 2019 rankings. It was ranked second in the specialty category for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology graduate programs.
This year’s rankings place the UC Davis School of Medicine at 10th among top schools for primary care training, up from 18th in 2017, and at 39th for research, up from 45th last year. The master’s-degree leadership program at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at the university also jumped six spots, placing at 46th in the nation.
Many of UC Davis’ 99 graduate and professional programs also fared well in this year’s list. The Graduate School of Management made significant leaps in both the Full-Time MBA and Part-Time MBA rankings, and the School of Law and College of Engineering also saw gains. Additionally, UC Davis received high marks in a number of engineering specialty rankings, with Biological/Agricultural (7th) and Civil Engineering (tied at 11th) earning top-20 spots in their respective disciplines, while Electrical Engineering jumped seven spots in a single year, tying for 35th.
“We are thrilled to have many of our advanced degree programs recognized year after year,” said Prasant Mohapatra, vice provost of graduate education and dean of Graduate Studies. “These new honors demonstrate how our commitment to providing the best learning experience for graduate students is bolstering our culture of collaboration and excellence.”
The complete Best Graduate Schools rankings are available on the U.S. News and World Report website.
The U.S. News and World Report graduate rankings are not the only recognition of academic excellence in UC Davis schools, colleges and programs.
- In the last month’s 2018 QS World University Rankings by subject, UC Davis ranked in the top 50 for seven of 48 subjects including first for veterinary science and second for agriculture and forestry.
- U.S. News placed UC Davis 52nd in the world in its 2018 ranking of best global universities.
- The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education rankings recognize UC Davis as the sixth best public university in the United States (September 2017).
- Washington Monthly magazine ranks UC Davis ninth overall among 303 public and private national universities for contributions to the public good (August 2017).
- In its 2018 rankings of the nation’s best colleges, U.S. News and World Report placed UC Davis 12th among public national universities.