The UC Global Food Initiative is marshaling university resources to address the critical issue of how to sustainably and nutritiously feed the world. It includes food security and access at the campus level. At UC Davis, the initiative is helping the campus community work together to improve and expand services and programs to meet students’ needs.
- The Aggie Food Connection website helps students in need know where they can find free food and other assistance to eat nutritiously on a budget. It includes campus and other resources.
- The Pantry, an organization of the Associated Students of UC Davis, provides food and toiletries to all students with a UC Davis identification card. Open daily during the school week, it is located in 21 Lower Freeborn.
- Fruit & Veggie Up! provides free produce for UC Davis students. Fresh from the UC Davis Student Farm, Tandem Farm, the Davis Food Co-op and Nugget Markets, the food is available at the Memorial Union information desk Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- The UC Davis Farmers Market brings fresh fruits, vegetables and more to campus. An extension of the Davis Farmers Market, it is on the Quad each Wednesday during the fall and spring quarters.
- Got EBT? You can use the Electronic Benefits Transfer card for government benefits to pay at three locations on campus: the Coffee House, the UC Davis Market and the UC Davis Farmers Market. More locations are coming soon.
Get financial help
- Students can be eligible for CalFresh, monthly government benefits to assist low-income households with their food budget. To start, go online or text FOOD to 74544. A CalFresh representative is on campus weekdays at The Pantry and the Memorial Union Information Desk.
- Financial Aid and Scholarships emergency, short-term and other loans.
- The student-run We Are Aggie Pride provides emergency grants to cover rent, books and other essentials.
Learn to cook
- The Teaching Kitchen at the Student Health and Wellness Center hosts free cooking classes to teach food preparation and cooking skills as well as nutrition and meal planning. Its collection of easy, affordable and nutrition-packed recipes is available online at the Balanced Kitchen.
Watch for it
- Coming soon is the Aggie Compass, a one-stop location for help with food, housing and other basic needs. It will be located adjacent to the UC Davis Market in the Memorial Union.