Now that everyone is moved in, UC Davis’ International Center is ready for its coming out party, from 1 to 4 p.m. this Friday (April 21).
The three-story building houses three Global Affairs units, the vice provost-associate chancellor's office, Study Abroad, and Services for International Students and Scholars; and UC Davis Extension’s Center for International Education.
The speakers list includes Ralph J. Hexter, interim chancellor; and Rep. John Garamendi, D-Walnut Grove, who will give the keynote.
The program has two masters of ceremonies: Paul M. McNeil, dean, UC Davis Extension; and Joanna Regulska, vice provost and associate chancellor, Global Affairs. Other speakers: Clayton Halliday, associate vice chancellor and campus architect; and Xinyi “Daisy” He, international undergraduate student and student assistant to the chancellor.
During the rest of the afternoon, people are invited to tour the building and visit open houses at Study Abroad, Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS), and the vice provost-associate chancellor's office. Other programs and activities include:
- Inspiring Global Curiosity, Understanding and Engagement — See how Global Affairs is engaged internationally. Add your message to the SISS chalkboard, participate in a traditional Chinese tea ceremony and try your hand at Chinese paper cutting with the Confucius Institute at UC Davis. 2-4 p.m., lobby.
- Cultural Traditions and Activities — Take a peek into the customs and practices of our international students. Learn how to make origami or get your name written in another language. Our talented students will teach the ways of their culture with fun, hands-on activities. 2-4 p.m., Room 1206.
- Intercultural Communication Role Play — A fun exercise exploring the ups and downs of intercultural communication. This entertaining event is coordinated by experienced English-as-a-second-language instructors and will promise both laughter and learning. 2:30 and 3:15 p.m., Room 1208.
- Center for International Education Film Festival — Spend a few minutes viewing some of our videos featuring the people and programs that make this UC Davis Extension center unique. 2-4 p.m., Room 1211.
- Then and Now: A History of International Engagement at UC Davis — Check out the history of international engagement at UC Davis, including stories of the first international students and scholars, study abroad and more! 2-4 p.m., second-floor landing.
- Envisioning the Future — Share your wisdom of the future and learn about some of our ideas, including our Big Idea to give 100 percent of our students a global and international experience, as well as the possibility of establishing UC Davis Global Centers. 2-4 p.m., Room 2119.
- International Students in Davis: An Interactive Quiz — Participants will take part in a fun interactive quiz that includes facts and trivia about the new International Center and the many international students who attend classes here. 3:15-3:45 p.m., Room 2206.
- UC Davis International “Human” Library — Drawing upon the Danish Human Book Project and Brandon Stanton’s “Humans of New York,” our students, scholars, staff, faculty and teachers will share their stories through this unique, interactive experience. Sit down with their “books” and hear their personal stories. 2-4 p.m., International Learning Center.