Support the Commencement Ceremonies!
You are invited to join our Commencement Ambassador team to help make this year’s spring undergraduate commencement an unforgettable experience for our graduates.
Gifts for Participation
As a token of our appreciation for your time, ambassadors will receive the following gifts:
- $75 Visa gift card
- Parking vouchers
- Commencement Ambassador T-shirt
- Lanyard with a collectable pin
- Meal and non-alcoholic drinks
What to Expect
There will be five ceremonies from Friday, June 16 to Sunday, June 18 (Father’s Day) held at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. Ambassadors may sign up for any or all of the ceremonies, and provide role preferences and dietary restrictions.
About two weeks before the ceremonies, ambassadors will receive their assignments, learn about their duties and receive virtual orientation and training. When you arrive for your assignment, you’ll be given a t-shirt, lanyard and additional in-person training if needed.
At the end of your shift, you’ll be provided a $75 Visa gift card and a collectable pin as a gift for your time. If you sign up for more than one ceremony, you will keep your lanyard and bring it back for your additional shifts. You will receive a parking voucher for each shift, but only one $75 gift card and collectable pin for the weekend.
Ambassador shifts will start according to their assigned roles. When they arrive, ambassadors will be given t-shirts to change into. There will be a place in the staff lounge to store belongings, but we recommend leaving valuables at home. Please note that Golden 1 Center is a bagless venue. Clutches and wallets smaller than 8” x 6” x 1” will be permitted and are subject to security inspection.
If you are planning to drive, you will be given a parking voucher for each shift. Parking reimbursement logistics are still being arranged, but you will be notified in advance of your shift(s). For more parking info, including directions and a map, visit the Golden 1 Center’s parking web page.
With duties ranging from greeting students, lining up students to directing graduates to and from the stage, each ambassador will play an important role in the commencement experience. Ambassadors will be assigned multiple roles in advance and also be trained to perform their roles. There will be flexibility in roles in order to accommodate different abilities.
At the Golden 1 Center, our Commencement Ambassador team will be supplemented with venue staff who are trained in crowd management, guest services and more. They will handle logistics for guests.
Our ambassadors will serve multiple roles, including:
- Graduate Support
- Faculty and Staff Support
- State Party Support
- Guest Support
In order to receive the necessary instruction to perform their duties, every ambassador will need to attend a virtual orientation. If you cannot participate in a virtual orientation, then you are expected to view a recorded version prior to your shift. The orientation schedule will be posted closer to the events.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I choose my role/assignment?
- During your sign-up process, you will be asked to declare your role preferences. To the greatest extent possible, the event staff will accommodate role preferences. However, we appreciate your willingness to serve in other capacities to ensure we have enough Ambassadors performing each task. There will be flexibility in assignments in order to accommodate different abilities.
- What if I can't attend an orientation?
- We are asking Ambassadors to attend a virtual orientation to ensure they have a full understanding of their roles and duties and are prepared and confident going into their shifts. For those who are unable to attend an online orientation, the session will be recorded and made available.
- What if I need to cancel my shift?
- We are depending on you to show up as scheduled, but if you are sick or unable to perform your shift please notify the Ambassador Coordinator as soon as possible.
- How many Ambassadors are needed for each commencement ceremony?
- The commencement planning team estimates needing 75-95 ambassadors for each ceremony.
- Who’s eligible to become a Commencement Ambassador?
- The university is inviting all staff and students to serve as a Commencement Ambassador. As a gift for your time, the university is offering several gifts.
- Will I be able to earn compensatory time off for my service?
- No. Commencement Ambassadors will receive gifts for their time.
- What will I get for serving as an Ambassador?
- As a token of our appreciation, ambassadors will be gifted with a parking voucher, $75 Visa gift card and a collectable pin as a gift for your time. You will receive a parking voucher for each shift, but only one $75 gift card and collectable pin for the weekend.